Basil Spaghetti With Cheesy Broiled Tomatoes
brought to you by Real Simple
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 15m | Total Time: 30m
- 12 ounces spaghetti *I used Fettucini! Personal Preference.
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), each cut into 4 thick slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the baking sheet
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, grated
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce), plus more, shaved, for serving
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper *opted out! but definitely going to use next time!
- 3/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving *also opted out. my husbands not a fan!
- Heat broiler. Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain and return it to the pot. *ADD a little salt and olive oil to boiling water
- Meanwhile, arrange the tomato slices in a single layer on a lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet. Season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Dividing evenly, sprinkle the slices with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, warm the oil with the garlic and red pepper over medium heat until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. *ADD sweet vidalia onions! So delicious and full of flavor!
- Add the garlic oil, basil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve topped with the tomatoes, additional basil, and shaved Parmesan.
Experiment with this Recipe:
For a creamier sauce add heavy cream to step #3!
Add Kalamata Olives to step #3 right before the sauce is just about done!
Rules I go by when cooking:
Remember to always have fun!
Never fully go by the book! Add a little something, Subtract a little something!
Clean as you go!